Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lesson 54: Varying Sentence Beginnings

----------

If every sentence in a paragraph were a simple sentence, then the paragraph would be repititive and elementary. The same problem occurs if all sentences within a paragraph have the same basic structure, for example, Subject-Verb order (S-V-O). However, you can easily vary your sentences by altering the traditional order.


----------

Here are several types of beginning that will keep your sentence interesting:


1. A prepositional phrase - You can start your sentence by using a prepositional phrase.

  • Through your help I was able to move on with life.
  • In three to four years, you'll have your money back.


2. An infinitive phrase - You can start your sentence by using an infinitive phrase.

  • To reach his goals, Justin must practice writing everyday.
  • To love you, I need to love myself first.


3. A participial phrase - You can start your sentence by using a participial phrase.

  • Playing all afternoon, the children are now tired.
  • Ignoring you all day, I now found myself full of regrets.


4. A direct object - You can start your sentence by using a direct object.

  • The cake, I gave to my boyfriend.
  • The letter, I read it to to you.


5. A dependent clause - You can start your sentence by using a dependent clause.

  • Although I love you, I still need to leave.
  • By doing it, Justin is now happy.


6. An adverb - You can start your sentence by using an adverb.

  • Happily, Justin did it.
  • Immediately, I ran to his house.


7. An adjective - You can start your sentence by using an adjective.

  • Being beautiful, my sister walked down the streets.
  • So terrified, Justin ran to me.


----------



~end of lesson~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Were the lessons helpful?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
What is a predicate nominative?
What is a direct object?
What is a noun complement?
and many others...

let IEG Dictionary answer all your questions!

IEG Dictionary

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us