1. An ADJECTIVE is a modifier which describes or limits a substantive - the noun, pronoun, or noun equivalent. It may be a word or a group of words.
- I passed THREE exams.
- Those flowers ON THE DESK are roses. ( The group is a phrase modifier.)
- Those boys WHOM YOU SAW are my children. ( The group is a clause modifier.)
2. The little words 'A', 'An', and 'The' are always adjectives. They are called ARTICLES.
3. Possessive nouns and certain possessive pronouns are usually considered adjectives.
- Diona's stamp collection is complete, but HER sister has not even started her own collection.
4. A PARTICIPLE is a verb form used as an adjective.
- The BURNING house lighted up the night sky.
5. A PROPER ADJECTIVE is a word formed from a proper noun and, like a proper noun, begins with a capital letter.
- Japan - Japanese cuisine
- Elizabeth - Elizabethan costumes
- Asia - Asian nations
6. Adjectives are used in three ways: ATTRIBUTIVE, APPOSITIVE, and PREDICATE.
a.) The ATTRIBUTIVE use is the direct modifier, which precedes the noun or pronoun.
- Luis wore a DARK suit.
- A BEAUTIFUL, TALL, SLENDER pine stood near.
b.) The APPOSITIVE use explains the substantive which it directly follows.
- The speaker, TALL and GRACEFUL, soon won her audience.
c.) The PREDICATE use of the adjective is to complete the meaning of the predicate. The predicate adjective is joined to the subject by a linking verb.
- The word was DIFFICULT.
- That view is indeed MAGNIFICENT and EXTRAORDINARY.
Find the adjectives in each sentence below and identify the nouns or pronouns that they modify.
My friend whom I love, is leaving tomorrow.
> adjective: whom I love modifies: My friend
1.) The car which I bought will be delivered today.
2.) Justin's collection of guns surprises me.
3.) Keep these huge empty bags for future use.
4.) I have studied here for eight years.
5.) Give me that yellow hat.
6.) We bought a new easy to use electric typewriter.
7.) They went to the gallery and observed Chinese cooking.
8.) Several young people crowded the place.
9.) Four old men with big hands helped the trapped people.
10.) The lighthouse warns big ships of dangerous rocks.
~end of lesson~