- Eight plus three is equals eleven.
- Five times six is equals thirty.
- Seventy-two divided by four is equals eighteen.
- Sixty minus forty leaves twenty.
- Many a hiker has failed to reach the top of the mountain.
- Every child is entitled to a share of the property.
- Ruth is one of those girls who enjoy gardening. ( Adjective clause - who enjoy gardening; Antecedent to the adjective clause - those girls)
- Ruth is the only one of those girls who enjoys hiking. ( Adjective clause - who enjoys hiking; Antecedent to the adjective clause - only one of those girls)
- The biggest problem is the demonstrations. (Subject - biggest problem; Predicate nominative - demonstrations)
- Demonstrations are a problem. (Subject - demonstrations; Predicate Nominative - a problem)
Exercise for Rule 23:
Choose the appropriate verbs in this paragraph:
My hardest challenge (is, are) these problems. It is because these problems (is, are) a point of decision to me. Tomorrow, I will go to school. Inside it (is, are) many problems as well. But I know that those problems (is, are) also a topic of decision for all the students.
~end of lesson~